5.13.2011

Summer excitement

I can't believe Summer and the ensuing heatwave is upon us already.

As much as the children love school, it's definitely wearing on them. They weren't used to waking before 9 until this year when we have to wake at (*gasp*) 7 in the morning.

It's killing me, too, kids.

The only incentive that can get these kids out of bed is the promise of ten whole minutes of Qubo cartoons. Always the Magic Schoolbus. They're just PUMPED to be alive and awake.

Alison is a spitting image of her father at that hour of day.

Also getting the children excited?

Ice cream. Hell yes. Ice cuh-ream. The vegetable of Summer afternoons. I'm not usually a big fan of junk food (just ask the children who currently have stockpiles of Easter candy throughout the basement and away from my prying eyes).

Of course my mother is on the opposite end of the spectrum who feels that a meal isn't complete without a meat, a veggie, a starch, a sauce, and a dessert.

Even if it means walking to Dairy Queen.
My mother ALSO believes we should buy that house that's for sale... she points it out to me every time it goes back on the market. She told me it would be so convenient. I told HER it would be convenient in the sense that I'd never cook supper again. It'd be like Everybody Loves Raymond, only my husband is the one getting pampered by MY mother.

I couldn't possibly move there. Not after I put in this magnificent beauty of a garden. Just look at those twelve plants not die!

Yet.

Plus the storms are much more exciting around here.

The "flash bangs" - as the girls call lightning and thunder - seem to echo through the empty expanse of Iowa cornfields surrounding us.

I tend to get nudged out of bed quite a bit by three squirming people puppies with ears clamped over. My shoulder thanks you, girls. I thoroughly enjoyed sleeping on the couch.

Things could be worse... it could be a school day tomorrow. Instead, I'll be sleeping in until my children alarm clocks fetch me for breakfast or whatever cereal I can round up the fastest before climbing back into bed.

Yay for PJs until noon.

2 comments:

Michele S said...

I love your garden! I will pray for you.

loren said...

Oh, just you wait, young lady! There's much more to come... I need to take a picture of what I've got finished. I'm in over my head for sure.