11.19.2008

I did a bad, bad thing

I can't believe I did it. I hung out with some moms at a church.

GASP! SHOCK! KELLY CLARKSON!!!

My sister: "What?!? And you didn't burst into flames?!" Thanks for the support.

It was a mother's meeting in the basement of the local church, and they get together to do small projects, read short books, and discuss their lives. It's not normally something I'd go to. The moms were nice, and I couldn't quite pass it up when I heard they had free daycare during the meeting. Hells yeah, even if it was two teenagers who looked like Marilyn Manson's body doubles.

Everyone but me and one other mom had been there for all the other meetings, so when I walked in ten minutes late - I had no intentions of going until I had an overwhelming feeling of guilt... I was raised Catholic - the women all turned and smiled and immediately hit me with a barrage of questions.

Funniest moment of the day: One of the much older moms was listing off her many, many vacations all over the world and her upcoming trip to Egypt (read: bragging) and she said, "The Lord has blessed my life in so many ways." I responded with, "It makes me wish we had waited a few more years to get married and have kids so we could have afforded to travel." The woman seemed absolutely taken aback at the idea of not getting married and having kids as soon as was physically possible. It took all my strength not to say, "Yeah, I don't know what I was thinking. In fact, I think I'm gonna go home and breed right now."

It seems that each woman is in charge of planning the activities for one meeting. The very nice woman in charge of today's events pulled a framed prayer from the wall of the church bathroom and read it to us as her "planned activity." Way to improvise! Another said she couldn't watch "Passion of the Christ" because she knew she'd "be bawling through the whole thing." I don't wanna ruin it for you, but in the end, HE DIES.

As I looked around the room, I analyzed the potential for buddies:

Two of the seven women were breastfeeding babies at the table on-and-off for the entire hour and were "extremely proud" of that fact. Most of the women I know who breastfed were more discreet and wouldn't just whip out their whole boob in front of others. Cover up a little, and if you're gonna be flinging those things around, please move out of my line-of-sight. Thanks! If someone's gonna be ripping their shirt off in public for attention it's me.

Another really quiet woman was newly pregnant and so severely overweight she needed a cane to get around. Not that I'm in primo shape, but she wasn't exactly someone who would like to do any hiking or speed shopping. Unless it was on one of those cool carts that beeps when it backs up! Okay, we'll keep her in reserve.

Another woman was a grandma with four children older than me. Sorry.

That leaves three women:

One was new to the group and was so nice and laughed genuinely, not like she was trying to be totally "proper." I liked her.

The second was Lutheran and she kept giving me the wide-eyed look like "Help me! I don't know how I got sucked into this." She's got potential.

The last was really sweet but seemed too impressionable for me. I'd have her selling her soul for Lemon Drops at the end of a week. We'll see, though.

This whole mom's meeting thing might not be too bad of an idea. Plus, I think one or two of them might buy some of my jewelry.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

you went to MOPS...and hell hasn't frozen over, wow. :) Next you'll be begging to join my bible study (which btw Sara gave me a hard time about) :)

loren said...

Did you whip your boobs out?

Casey's trio said...

HAAAAAHAAAAAHAAAA
Dying over here. How bout you lead a week and print off some of your blog posts to read for discussion ideas. They might like to hear about Mike waxing his mangina or maybe the neighborhood booze fest with offensive t-shirts. If nothing else, these meetings make for hilarious blog material!!

guinnf said...

Too Funny! I can't wait to here more. I love the idea of using the blog posts as your discussion, or maybe a lesson on the perfect waxing techiques. LOL!

Kimberly

Anonymous said...

I think you should bring out the 'red dress' for saturday :)

Jenny said...

I'm dying laughing!!!! How often have I thought ALL of these thoughts! LOVE IT!

Casey's trio said...

Ahhh do tell about the "red dress":)

My name is Tammie said...

Awesome. This was just friggin' awesome.

loren said...

Malea - I swear you're just waiting for an opportunity to discuss the "red dress," aren't you?

Casey - Here's the scoop: The "red dress" was a dress I borrowed from my mom. It was fitted, sleeveless with a scoop neck, and it ended about 3 inches above the knee... not super slutty, but for my old job, it was a little more risque'. I wore it one time when we were having a big sale and this pervert customer of ours, Ryan Le-something, came in to shop for one of his many, many girlfriends. This guy owned all the adult shops in town, and he had once upon a time offered me $1500 to dance in his office for him. Well, when he came into the store, SOMEONE greeted him and then turned him over to ME. Bastards. They thought it was so funny. Every time I reached forward to grab jewelry out of the case, he was looking down my dress. And the way I was sitting, when I'd open a case, he could almost see up my dress. Perv. So the red dress is just as infamous in our circles as the blue Monica dress is for everyone else.

You wanna hear a good story about clothes, ask about my wardrobe malfunction and Swingline staplers.

loren said...

Oops, I remembered his name. Ryan Montague. Pervert.

Anonymous said...

You have me rolling on the floor - over your post and your story on the red dress. Must be something about that name - my daughter had a "friend" with a very similar name that stalked her like crazy. I have no idea how many times he drove up and down our street to see if she was home. CREEPY!!!!!

Michele S said...

I have not laughed so hard in... I DON'T KNOW. God you are so freaking funny. OMG! What you'll do for free daycare is almost obscene.

Do you have a camera phone? C'mon, Loren. Let's get some photos!!!! We need visuals of these fine Godly Iowa women.

I go to meetings and the only boobs I see are the ones that have been recently sculpted by a plastic surgeon! We grow 'em big and rock hard out here in Nevada!

Anonymous said...

How come I have never heard about this "red dress?" Ryan wants to know why you are not his facebook friend anymore? You never know this church thing might be good for you. It might help put life in perspective for you. You will realize that having dirty, raunchy sex is much better then making love. Like they say in tennis "love" means nothing...it only means you are a loser. ;-)

Anonymous said...

haha...you were totally 'Sharon-stoning' him everytime you opened the case door. :) AND you wore that gem of a dress more than once!! :) God I can't wait till Saturday.

loren said...

Malea - You are a dirty hooker. I am NOT wearing the dress, so don't get your perverted little hopes up ;)

Erin - I've been a good girl and haven't spent as much time online. I've been cooking supper for Mike just so he can fall asleep and not eat any of it. Last night's victim: homemade chicken broccoli alfredo.

Anonymous said...

OK!!! just from you labels I can see a news tease "Stripper Finds Fun Friendship with Anitchrist"

UD Goddess

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you survived the meeting -and that some of them might even buy some jewelry! Maybe you can chalk it up to a "marketing" event in your mind.
As a Lutheran pastor, I want to say that I'm glad the Lutheran mom who was there felt just as "twitchy" as you did with some of it. I want to encourage you to give her a good chance. They sometimes call us the "frozen chosen" because we don't tend to get preachy and/or pushy about our faith with people.
Whatever you wind up doing, just make sure you're comfortable with it. The church I serve has a playgroup once a week for our preschool set and it's a fun way for the mothers to chat while being just distracted enough by the kids to keep from getting too deep into potential hot topics.
Best wishes to you!