Reason #729, 402 that I should not be allowed to raise my own children...
I took the girls to campus with me today so I could sign up for classes (yes, I'm going back to school even with the surgery, but I'll be doing Independent Study and only half-time).
Unfortunately, the girls aren't quite as magical for me as when Mike is wandering around town with them. He collects teenage girls like they're magnetically drawn to his fertility. I on the other hand tend to come off as a tale of caution for young men: Wear a raincoat! my horde shouts.
So while we were wandering all over campus in the blazing heat while deterring young men from having unprotected sex, I almost killed my child. Okay, that's dramatic. She almost killed herself. I had very little to do with it. Well, besides not holding her hand down the concrete steps before she did a triple flip, bouncing off her head not once but twice. So really it was all her fault.
I swear it happened in slow motion. She looked a little like her feet were glued to the first step while her head reached down toward the next one. Then suddenly gravity kicked in and she was flung in rapid motion over and down, and down and down some more. I know I probably had the stupidest look on my face - perhaps a look of disbelief or terror or both.
I hugged her, gave her a sip of pop, checked her pupils and her skull. When everything seemed to be in working order, I took the opportunity to teach her something: that whole listening to mom and holding onto the railing thing? Probably a good idea. Just sayin'.
To make things better, we stood near the pus-filled stagnant pond so the girls could look at the "elephant" (aka "panther"). No amount of correction could convince them that this animal was anything other than a peanut-eating, water-sucking, wrinkly land mammal.
Don't worry. Stubbornness and just being plain wrong is a genetic defect, not a result of the fall.
5 comments:
Glad to hear her head is in tact. Maybe you have a gymnast on your hands?
well ya know, they've got a point. From the angle of that picture and looking quickly, the tail does look like an elephant's trunk and the body-without seeing the panther's face-looks elephant-like.
Glad she's okay. Too funny on the fertility thing, I laughed out loud at that!
So funny! Not that your daughter almost getting killed is funny but your discription definitely was. In my kids' case, the one that is most clumsy is the one that also thinks she can walk down stairs without holding on. Guess, I'll be seeing that whole gravity thing for myself soon.
I'm hosting a giveaway for some free children's books on my blog so check it out.
By the way I love your jewelry and plan to purchase something, I just can't make up my mind. I like too many of them.
Cadi
Gosh, I've checked Ty's pupils/head too many times to count...poor guy, maybe that's why he's still not walking..or maybe it's his large noggin that throws him off balance ~ do you think it's freakishly big? When I was picking up Anil from school, some kid pointed at Ty in his stroller & said 'Oh look at that baby with the big head & glasses!' I was speechless :(
That's so mean, Malea!!! Ty has a very cute head!
Post a Comment