2.06.2007

I wonder what Target's hours will be during the apocalypse...

I had an epiphany today:

For the last week or so, I've been low on "good" food (meaning NOT gummies/fish crackers/canned, boxed or jarred anything) a.k.a fresh veggies and meats, etc. I've also been low on diapers. The girls, who normally wear size 3 diapers, were recently part of a successful little experiment that I like to call

SEEING IF THESE SIZE 2 DIAPERS STILL FIT

(They did.)

The reason I have run so incredibly low on everything is the fact that our tiny little podunk town out here in BFE does not have a grocery store or pharmacy - besides the gas station - that I can run to at a moment's notice. The weather has been so crappy. That, and the fact that Mike is in the middle of "hell week" which is when we see each other for a total of 3-4 hours over a span of 7 days. It leaves little time for "Honey, could you run to the store?" We have a wonderful metropolis only 10-15 minutes away, but in the snow and ice, I need a little more incentive than running low on diapers to go to town. I figure the kids can survive at LEAST a week or two on fish crackers, and God knows I could use the old "Ethiopian diet." Except I always get the bloating first.


My mother of course would yell at me in that shrill voice, "Loren! Why don't you have Mike blah blah blah leave the kids at our house blah blah! BLAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!" I had to throw that last one in there. Love you, mom.

Anyways, after surveying what little supplies we have, I realized that, in the event of a true emergency (terrorist attack, nuclear leak, biochemical, etc..) we would be so totally UP S*&@ CREEK, if there even was a creek to paddle! We would be the family pulling the kids in our wagon door-to-door asking to stay in their underground shelter with our one can of green beans and a box of gummies. My sister said that "they" - a.k.a the crazy a-holes that organized that BRILLIANT evacuation plan in Katrina - suggest every family to keep enough food and water for something like 3 (+/-) weeks in the house. My first reaction? "Hot damn! That's a lot of food!" My second reaction? "S*&@! We don't even keep 3 weeks worth of food in the house NOW! We are so totally up the creek!"

I ordered a survival guide online to find out what we should stock, but that won't arrive until April. So I guess the apocalypse will have to wait until then. And if it doesn't, we'll be the ones trying to trade our kids in for non-perishable items. Kristin would DEFINITELY be the first to sell - she's as entertaining as one of those little grinder monkeys with the hats. Worth her weight in tomato paste, she is.

2 comments:

Michele S said...

I just saw your weather and it said "-7" degrees on your blog. OMG! THAT'S JUST CRAZY! We're having a heat wave over here. It was 70 degrees yesterday. I didn't even bother putting shoes on the kids.

Okay, GET YOUR CHILDREN SOME FOOD FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!

loren said...

The weather here SUCKS! This morning it was -12 at 6:30AM. That's not including the wind chill. We've been trying to wait it out but it's been going on for a few weeks now. The weather-ites say we only have a few more days before it warms up to highs of double digits - YIPPEE! I saw the pic of your kids outside eating pudding and for a moment I was so jealous :) Okay, I still am.

As for the food - we're doing okay, but having to dip into our canned/dry food like Dinosaurs and non-homemade stuff that I keep for just this occasion. Nonetheless, I would like to get some real food back on my shelves! Someone bought us a Sam's Club membership, so we're gonna go check that out tomorrow. I hesitate because of all the horrible things I've "heard" about Wally world...