8.25.2010

Get a J-O-B

Yesterday, while out on a nice lunch date with my husband, I made the colossal mistake of gushing over how nice it'll be to have his student loans paid off.

Which meant Mike would immediately begin speculating over Life With a Working Wife. Everything that could get paid off. The vacations we could take. The budget-busting shopping trips to the grocery store and no coupons in sight.

And - a mere FOUR DAYS into the girls' school year, when I am still adjusting to getting the kids off to school and piecing the house back into something that resembles less of a yard outside a trailer park daycare - the question came.

So.............. when are you gonna get a job?

I paused mid-stride. You have to remember that Mike promised me (with no prompting) that I could take a year off to get the house in order before jumping back into work or school.

(I immediately told him six months should suffice.)

And now we're here. Four days into the school year. I knew he was just fantasizing about an extra $30,000+ in our checking account, and hell, I've fantasized about it, too.

But since crushing the dreams of little boys is what I do best...

I nonchalantly answered: I was hoping to get my business back online soon... I have $1500 in merchandise to sell that I need to at least get rid of.

That doesn't count.

It does if it makes money.

We continued on our lunch date, walking toward Barnes & Noble where we planned on drooling over things we shouldn't/couldn't buy. (I have an addiction to all that is bound and papery.)

Just before reaching the door, Mike got a mini scowl on his face. Next time I'll clarify: When are you getting a real job?

Bingo. Yahtzee. The price is wrong, Bob.

So I laughed and told him I could get a job anytime. Except I need to finish my last year of school. And we planned on me staying home and doing the home improvement projects so we didn't have to pay someone to finish the basement. And it had only been FOUR FREAKIN' DAYS.

But we all knew that moment was coming.

His dreams of all-you-can-buy produce were slipping through his fingers...

Poor guy.

6 comments:

Erin said...

Maybe you should get a job at Barnes and Noble to pay for your bound and papery addiction and bring home money. Not to mention all the discounts you could give your favorite cousin!!

loren said...

Trust me... this scenario has already been discussed. LOL

Then again, remember when I worked at jewelry stores for almost 6 years? That didn't end up so fantastic for my bank account.

Erin said...

True, but again it did do wonders for mine!! I know Ryan is very thankful! Either way you need to find a job that I can take advantage of!!

Ryan Smith said...

I know...open a daycare in your house! You've already got the experience. :-)

Triplets+3=Crazy said...

AHEM! WELL.... there is always COFFEE (or tea) !! ;D

Michele S said...

Mikey! Dude. Who is going to watch the kids on sick days, half days, staff days, and holidays???!!!! Not to mention all summer! Hmmmmmmmmmm??!