Look what my uterus built all by itself!
It had help from a few other body parts, but my point is: I wasn't hindered by my lack of penis.
I'm far from bragging, though, since I still have FOUR sections left plus ONE gate. And things aren't looking so hot since this gate took me three hours to finish this afternoon after I sent Mike off on a jet plane.
I have planted gardens, built retaining walls, run wiring, knocked down walls, BUILT FENCES (or at least ONE fence), and done things most men consider their territory. I never saw it as a gender-redefining moment. I figured that crap needed to get done and Mike is always at work. So I put on my big girl panties and did what I had to.
I guess I'd thought we were past the age of "Women Can't Do Man Stuff."
A few weeks ago, I had several middle-aged men looking at me funny as I carried a couple 2x4s out of Lowe's. (Did I have TP hanging off my shoe? Did I have a booger? Oh wait... I had TITS. That's supposed to handicap me somehow in the Home Improvement department.)
There is nothing that makes me more angry than male egotism.
Or the Get-Your-Ass-in-the-Kitchen-and-Bake-Me-A-Pie Syndrome.
Men "think" women are better at cooking because cooking is hard for them. Guess what, a-hole... it was HARD for me, too, until I got off my lazy ass and taught myself how to do it.
Do you think I enjoy standing in that freakin' sauna of a kitchen cooking food that I'll be so sick of smelling after 90 minutes of hovering over it I won't want to eat it by the time it's finished?
Yeah, I think not.
Do you think I enjoy staying up all night to feed three infants or that it's easy for me because I lack testicles? Or maybe I looove folding laundry and doing dishes until I break a sweat.
I'll let ya think that one out.
Mike and I had a "breakthrough" a while back. I think it was when he wasn't sure how to do laundry. He innocently figured I should just do it since I already knew how.
Mmm. Hmmm.
I told him I learned how to do my laundry when I was 11, and while I'm pretty smart, I'm sure if an 11-year-old girl can figure out how to dump in detergent, a grown man should be able to.
(I'm happy to report Mike is now a laundry PRO.)
So yeah. This sort of knowledge doesn't come automatically with the uterus. EVERYONE, tits or no, has to learn it. But I think our culture has so ingrained that women are better at this stuff genetically, when all it is is our moms pulling us aside for 10 minutes as kids and showing us how to pour in the Downy. You know, to prepare us for marriage and womanhood and domestic bliss.
I'm so tired of the men who complain that they're not wired to step up and help out. I wasn't "wired" for it, either. I was about as tomboy as they came. But because I am a GROWN UP, I worked on it.
Not only can I build fences, I can cook a mean fucking stirfry.
Sad to say, I have yet to conquer an ironing board.
4 comments:
LOVE LOVE LOVE this post!! Especially since it uses the word uterus. My husband says I will go out of my way to use the word uterus in a sentence. He's right...It's an awesome word. The fence looks great by the way! How did you get all of those boards so even without a penis?
Yes, it would have been MUCH easier with a penis ;)
I could have used it in place of a spacer block while installing the pickets, but alas, I went with a level instead... crafty little device for the penis-free.
Loren, I love love love love you!
I was so pissed about the lovely TC post that I could not respond...It would not have been nice.
I am going through a divorce because of this exact thing and the fact that he can't keep his penis in his pants, apparently! I was appealed that people found that post funny at all.
I want to be just like you went I grow up! I am now going to put together a dome climber...Watch out tools, here I come!
Yep, as I read that post, I'm sure I had a look on my face like I'd smelled something disgusting. My husband used to be the "avoider" by conveniently ignoring messes or crying infants at 3 AM. (He's MUCH better now, but for a while there, he's lucky he's alive.)
Good luck with that dome climber. Those things always scared me as a kid, LOL!
Post a Comment