I need to start out by saying: my kids are hooked on The Polar Express.
And it doesn't help that the damned thing restarts itself if you're not there to shut it off at the credits. It's like having a crack dealer outside the door of a Crack-Anon center. They get you on the come-back.
I don't mind The Polar Express, thank goodness. It's the only time I don't feel guilty for using the TV babysitter. Don't worry, I still use good ole TV babysitter, but I've had to work through the guilt, usually by doing something completely self-centered like messing around online or making jewelry.
Tonight we were watching The Polar Express yet again, and it dawned on me that Emma and Kristin have been growing close... they might actually be friends! Even Alison, my troublemaker of late, turned back from her perch at one point during the movie and told them, "Be quiet. I'm sleeping and watching the movie." Her sisters were causing a ruckus on the couch because of Emma sniffing Kristin's feet and then saying, "Ewww... stinky!" And they'd erupt in giggles.
I always assumed that Alison and Emma would be together and Kristin would do her independent thing. This hasn't been the case. This is what I find every night in Kristin's bed:

That's Emma in the pink, by the way.
It's practically a slumber party every single night. Did I ever mention that we need to get the basement finished so we have four bedrooms? Because we need to split those two up. Alison can sleep through it, but I can't.
Those two are just wild. Then add Alison in when she's around Mike and all hell breaks loose.
I blame Mike. He's always endorsed the goofy, crazy behavior. It's so ingrained in the kids that wrestling and pouncing are okay that they'll pounce on Mike even when he's not awake:
That's the closest Mike will get to reading books to the girls, by the way.
My little independent Kristin and my sweet, shy Emma. It almost makes me sad for Alison. Although she doesn't seem to mind.
Unless they're interrupting The Polar Express.
Then she's out for blood.

1 comment:
My girls switch places in the buddy-up relationships too. Riley is always in the twosome but Alyssa and Makena trade places between being her playmate and doing their own thing. I know that the odd-man out thing is going to bother me as they get older.
Post a Comment